Hey all, just a quick note: I’m a Sidewise Award nominee for the second time!
The Sidewise Awards are dedicated to alternate history. And Orion Rising is definitely an alternate—a look at what might have happened if we’d gotten Orion as our space program, rather than Apollo. After a convo with Freeman Dyson at a conference on the commercialization of space, it didn’t seem that far-fetched.
Here’s the full story:
We are pleased to announce this year’s nominees for the Sidewise Award for Alternate History. The winners will be announced at Chicon 7, this year’s Worldcon, in Chicago, Illinois during the weekend of August 30. The Sidewise Awards have been presented annually since 1995 to recognize excellence in alternate historical fiction. This year’s panel of judges was made up of Stephen Baxter, Evelyn Leeper, Jim Rittenhouse, Stu Shiffman, Kurt Sidaway, and Steven H Silver.
Congratulations and best of luck.
* Michael F. Flynn, The Iron Shirts (Tor.com)
* Lisa Goldstein, Paradise Is a Walled Garden (Asimov’s, 8/11)
* Jason Stoddard, Orion Rising (Panverse 3, edited by Dario Ciriello,
* Harry Turtledove, Lee at the Alamo (Tor.com)
* Robert Conroy, Castro’s Bomb (Kindle)
* Robert Conroy, Himmler’s War (Baen Books)
* Jeff Greenfield, Then Everything Changed (Putnam)
* Ian R MacLeod, Wake Up and Dream (PS Publishing)
* Ian McDonald, Planesrunner (Pyr)
* Ekaterina Sedia, Heart of Iron (Prime)
* Lavie Tidhar, Camera Obscura (Angry Robot)
So go, grab a copy of Panverse Three, and see what we could have had. And no, this isn’t any happy fun-time show.
June 12th, 2012 / Comments Off on Orion Rising is a Sidewise Award Nominee!